1. What to expect as a victim or witness of a crime
2. What happens after you report a crime?
3. Victims' Right to Review scheme
4. Giving a witness or victim statement
5. Going to court
6. What happens after the trial?
7. Victim and witness support organisations

Victim Support

A national charity dedicated to helping anyone affected by crime to cope with and recover from their experience. It offers services not only to victims and witnesses, but also to their friends and family.

If it doesn't have an office in your area, it can point you to local help.

It also runs My Support Space, a free, safe, secure and confidential space where you can choose how you want to be supported. Register for My Support Space - it's quick and easy.

Citizens Advice Witness Service

A national charity and network of local charities offering confidential advice online, over the phone, and in person, for free.

If you’re a witness at a criminal court in England or Wales, you can get free and independent support from the Citizens Advice Witness Service. It doesn’t matter who you’re a witness for, you can still get help.

Victim and witness information

A website that helps victims and witnesses of crime in England and Wales. It has information on what happens after reporting a crime, the people you might meet, the support you should get and how to complain if something goes wrong.

Local support

Victim First

Victim First is a free, independent and confidential service for victims and witnesses of crime across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland. This service offers a range of emotional and practical support including: emotional support from a dedicated caseworker, Restorative Justice, crime prevention measures and advocacy/signposting.

You can contact Victim First in the following ways:

Phone: 0800 953 95 95

Email: [email protected]

Website (including a webchat service): https://victimfirst.org/

CORE – support services for victims of crime in Derbyshire

Brake – support for people injured or bereaved by road incidents.

You can also call the Witness Service, which provides free and confidential support to help you cope. Call them at: