Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.

Advice tool

Apply for a certificate to travel with a firearm to the UK from a country outside the EU

How do I apply?

You'll need a 'sponsor' to apply for a visitor's permit on your behalf. This person must be resident in the UK.

A typical application takes up to six weeks to process.

Please ask your sponsor to take these three steps:

Step 1: Download and complete the Application for a Visitor's Firearm/Shot Gun Permit form (Form 107).

They'll need:

  • a copy of your current firearms certificate (if applicable)
  • your club or society details (if applicable)
  • if neither of the above apply, a confirmation of good character letter from the government or police
  • details of where your firearms will be stored while in the UK
  • details of which firearm or shotgun and ammunition you'll be buying, using or transporting
  • your criminal conviction history (if applicable)


Step 2: Make out a cheque or postal order for the appropriate fee, payable to OPCC for Leicestershire.

We can't accept cash.

Step 3: Post the completed form, documents and cheque or postal order to:

Firearms and Explosives Licensing Department
Criminal Justice
Mansfield House
74 Belgrave Gate


How much does it cost?

An application for one to five people is £20 per person.

An application for a group (six to 20 people) is £100.

What happens after I apply?

We'll get in touch as quickly as possible if we have any questions about your application or need to ask for more information.

Otherwise, they should receive your permit within six to eight weeks.