Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.

Coronavirus (Covid-19)

In line with the current guidance on social distancing and non-essential travel we are temporarily unable to process any new applications for the grant of shotgun, firearms or explosives certificates (such applications require home visits). This will be kept under review as government guidance is updated. We are however currently still processing renewal applications but have ceased routinely visiting certificate holders until further notice. Please contact us online if you have any questions or consider there to be any exceptional circumstances.

Advice tool

Transfer ownership or dispose of a firearm

What do I need to do?

You can tell us about this online, using our online form. Click 'Start' below to do this.

How much does it cost?

It's free.

What happens next?

Unless we need to ask you about any details in your form we won't need to contact you in order to process your notification, so please keep a copy of your email or paperwork for your records.