To apply for a firearm or shotgun licence, read this information carefully and then download the appropriate form from the ‘Downloads’ section below.

Download and print the required form, (it cannot be saved for later), and complete by hand. Please check you have signed it and enclosed the necessary items before sending:

  • completed application form
  • one photograph
  • the appropriate fee (see below)

Please ensure all correspondence is sent to:

Firearms and Explosives Licensing Department
Leicestershire Police
Mansfield House
74 Belgrave Gate
LE1 3GG 

Firearm certificates

Grant of firearm certificate £88
Renewal of firearm certificate £62
Variation of a firearm certificate (other than when it is renewed at the same time) to increase the number of firearms to which the certificate relates £20
Replacement of a firearm certificate lost or destroyed £4

Shotgun certificates

Grant of a shotgun certificate £79.50
Renewal of a shotgun certificate £49
Replacement of a shotgun certificate lost or destroyed £4

Coterminous certificates

Firearms and shotgun certificates valid for the same dates

Coterminous grants £90
Coterminous renewal £65

Registered firearms dealers

Registration or renewal £200
Additional premises £13

Visitors' permits

Individual visitor's permit £20
Group visitors' permit (groups of six or more valid for the same dates) £100

Please note all cheques or postal orders must be made payable to OPCC for Leicestershire. Cash should not be sent through the post.

It can take up to 10 weeks to process an application providing all supporting evidence in relation to the application has been received.


Land approval within ‘good reason’

Section 27(b) of the Firearms Act 1968 states that a chief officer of police shall grant or renew a firearms certificate if they are satisfied that the applicant has ‘good reason’ to possess, purchase or acquire the firearm or ammunition for which the application is made.

‘Good reason’ is demonstrated by the applicant showing that he or she has acceptable facilities to use the type of firearms concerned.

Target shooting
Please enclose a copy of your club membership card or a letter from the club secretary confirming membership. You will be expected to be a full member.

Vermin/deer/sporting shooting
If you do not own the land or the shooting rights on the land on which you intend to shoot, please enclose a copy of the authority regarding the land on which you wish to shoot. For example, if you have permission to use a .22 rifle on one piece of land and a .243 rifle on another piece of land, you will need two separate authorities.

If you are applying for a variation to increase the number of guns in your possession, you will need to clarify your 'good reason' in wanting to purchase another rifle. Simply writing 'vermin control' or 'deer control' is not sufficient reason.