Your feedback helps to shape us. So whether you’d like to say thanks or make a complaint we’d like to hear from you.

Get in touch using the quick and simple online tool below.

Is it an emergency?

If a crime is happening now or someone is in immediate danger, call 999 now

Advice tool

I'd like to seek compensation for something the police have done

Thank you.

There are two ways you can contact us, by post or by email. 

By post:

East Midlands Legal services
Derbyshire Police Headquarters
Butterly Hall

By email:

Please be sure to include the following information in your email or letter:

  1. your full name and contact details
  2. your case or report number (if applicable)
  3. the name or shoulder number of any officer, staff or volunteer involved
  4. your reasons for claiming compensation

We'll reply with a reference number and the name, phone number and email address of the lawyer, claims handler or other person dealing with your claim.

In some cases we may send your claim to external solicitors to handle on our behalf. In this case they will write to you with this information. From that point, please correspond with the person handling the claim, always remembering to quote your reference number.

We will investigate any genuine claim and are able to solve most claims without needing to start legal proceedings. Indeed, the courts expect both parties to attempt to resolve disputes without bringing proceedings.

Some requests for compensation may need to be submitted in a certain way; if that's the case then we will let you know when we reply and give you the information you need at that point.

This is why we ask claimants to give full details of the basis of their claim and to allow us a reasonable time to investigate and negotiate before commencing proceedings.

If you do decide to commence proceedings, please note that the correct name for service of all proceedings upon the Leicestershire Police is ‘The Chief Constable of Leicestershire Police’.