Man found guilty of killing father
Main article content
An 18-year-old man has today (Wednesday 17 April) been found guilty of killing his father.
Kacey Clarke was convicted of manslaughter following a trial at Leicester Crown Court, but a jury found him not guilty of murdering Steve Clarke.
At around 10.15pm on 17 October last year, police were called to Kacey’s home address in Southfields Drive following a report that a fight had taken place. Officers went upstairs to a bedroom, where they found Steve’s body.
Meanwhile Kacey travelled to the Leicester Royal Infirmary of his own accord to receive treatment for three cuts to his arms and a small cut to his head that he suffered during the fight. Officers went to the hospital and Kacey was arrested.
During the trial, the jury heard that Steve had separated from Kacey’s mother but had been to visit the family home on the night of his death. However, while there, Steve became involved in an argument with Kacey, who then went upstairs.
The court was told that Steve – holding a knife he had taken from the kitchen – followed Kacey and went into a bedroom. A short time later, Kacey went back downstairs and immediately fled the house.
Detective Inspector Toby Fawcett-Greaves, from the East Midlands Special Operations Unit, is the Senior Investigating Officer. He said: “This was a domestic argument that, with the use of knives, only intensified. The result was that a young man killed his own father.
“It’s a tragic set of circumstances that has, unfortunately, resulted in a family being torn apart. Steve’s death has had a lifelong impact on them – both from the loss they’ve suffered and the fact that the trial has meant they have heard what happened on the night of his death in such great detail.
“My deepest condolences remain with them at this time.”
Kacey Clarke will be sentenced for this offence and other unrelated matters at Leicester Crown Court on 24 May.