Man convicted of multiple rapes over more than 10 years
Main article content
A man who raped and sexually assaulted two women when they were just children – and continued into adulthood – has been found guilty of his crimes.
Fifty-year-old Preston Paris was convicted of a string of offences today (Monday 12 October) following a trial at Leicester Crown Court.
The abuse, which involved two victims, occurred between 2001 and 2016. Paris, of Tarragon Road, Leicester, was found guilty of:
- Five counts of rape
- Four counts of sexual intercourse with a girl under 13 years of age
- Three counts of sexual activity with a child
- Two counts of raping a girl under 13 years of age
- One count of indecent assault
Paris, an American national, moved to the UK in 2001 and began abusing the first victim not long after – when she was just eight years old. The abuse did not stop until she was 19.
In 2017, the victim contacted Leicestershire Police to report what had happened. As a result, a second victim was identified who disclosed that she too had been subjected to serious sexual abuse by Paris between the ages of 12 and 22.
Both victims told police there were occasions when Paris became violent towards both of them after finding out they had formed relationships with other men.
Detective Constable Anna Blockley, from the force’s Child Abuse Investigation Unit (CAIU) non-recent team, was the investigating officer. She said: “Paris is a predatory and dangerous individual who took advantage of two women when they were just children.
“He was controlling and violent towards them. He used them for his own sexual gratification. The suffering both victims have had to endure is unimaginable.
“I’m both pleased and relieved – for the victims in this case – that Paris has been convicted for his crimes nearly 20 years since the abuse began.
“The bravery both women have shown in disclosing what happened and providing information that has led to his conviction is testament to their own courage.”
Paris will be sentenced at Leicester Crown Court on Friday (16 October).
- There are a number of different agencies who are able to offer independent help and support to victims of sexual offences in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
- Further information on these services and details on who to contact if you have been a victim of a sexual offence can be found by visiting https://www.leics.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/rsa/rape-and-sexual-assault/