A final report has been published today (Thursday 20 October) by the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse. Part of the inquiry investigated the institutional responses to allegations of child sexual abuse involving the late Lord Janner of Braunstone QC.
Temporary Deputy Chief Constable David Sandall said: "As a force we have participated fully and openly with the important work of the inquiry since it began and we are fully analysing today’s final report and the findings and recommendations which have been made.
"On behalf of Leicestershire Police, I would like to reiterate the wholehearted apology we have previously given to any complainant whose allegations during police investigations into Lord Janner were not responded to as they should have been. As we have said previously, allegations could and should have been investigated more thoroughly and Lord Janner could and should have faced prosecution earlier than 2015.
"It takes the utmost courage for a victim of abuse to report it to police. In force, we have a dedicated Child Abuse Investigation Unit and officers and staff remain committed and determined to pursuing allegations of current or historic abuse against children and gaining justice for victims. Our strong partnership work also ensures vital support and advice is made available to victims.
"We are dedicated to reviewing and improving in this work in every way we can and we will share learning and recommendations from today’s report across our force as part of this development."