Bravery of victims and officers praised as man admits to violent stabbings
Main article content
The bravery of two victims of a violent stabbing as well as the officers who attended the scene has been praised today by Chief Constable Rob Nixon.
Two off-duty officers were in the Braunstone area on 5 December last year when they heard a woman screaming in the street in Goodheart Way. The 62-year-old woman had been stabbed 11 times to the chest and stomach by Mufaro Machaya, 24, who had then walked away.
The off-duty officers ran and provided immediate first aid to the victim until the ambulance service arrived.
Shortly after, Machaya had then approached a 65-year-old man who was walking home on Meadwell Road, from behind and stabbed him in the head and neck. As the victim tried to defend himself, he was stabbed in the arm. A neighbour came across the victim and called the emergency services.
Police were in attendance at the scenes and work led to Machaya being arrested shortly after in the underpass in Gallards Hill. When officers searched him, they found a knife inside his coat.
Both victims were taken to hospital and treated for multiple injuries. The female victim required surgery to her abdomen was discharged from hospital after a number of days.
As Machaya, formerly of Tay Road, Lubbesthorpe, was taken into custody he continued to be volatile towards officers and in the interests of safety he was interviewed from his cell but refused to assist officers.
He was subsequently charged with two counts of attempted murder and possession of a bladed article.
Today (Wednesday 16 August) he pleaded guilty to two counts of Section 18 Grievous Bodily Harm and possession of a bladed article. He will be sentenced on Friday 20 October.
Chief Constable Rob Nixon said: “This was a horrific attack. Machaya left his home with a knife and the intention to use it. Both victims were approached in broad daylight and without any warning were attacked violently.
“My thoughts are very much with the victims of this incident and I thank them for their extreme bravery, support and co-operation throughout this investigation.
“My thanks also go to officers, both on and off-duty, who responded to this extremely distressing incident and ultimately helped to save lives and detain a dangerous man. The work of a dedicated investigation team has then ensured that Machaya was brought before the court today.”
Detective Constable Natasha Perkins said: “The victims of this attack are both very lucky to be alive but, no doubt, the events of that morning have left a devastating impact on them. My thoughts remain with both of them and I hope this outcome helps the victims in some way as they come to terms with what happened and provides some reassurance that this violent man will now face a considerable time in detention.
“Off-duty officers who were in the area on the day of the incident quickly responded to provide immediate first aid to the female victim in very distressing circumstances. The quick work of officers called to the incident then led to Machaya being detained nearby and brought into custody.
“The defendant’s continuing aggressive manner meant that officers had to then take the unusual step of interviewing him through his cell door. He showed no remorse for his actions and admitted to stabbing the victims to the interviewing officers.
“My thanks go to all the response and investigating team whose work has led to this guilty plea being made in court today.”