Quickly exit this site by pressing the Escape key Leave this site
This site is a beta, which means it's a work in progress and we'll be adding more to it over the next few weeks. Your feedback helps us make things better, so please let us know what you think.
Two men who attacked and stabbed a man in the city in August last year have been sentenced for their part in the vicious assault.
During the early hours of Sunday 14 August, the 21-year-old victim was on a night out in the city when he arranged to meet a group of people at Jubilee Square.
Shortly afterwards the victim was found injured in Guildhall Lane. He had sustained multiple injuries to his body including a stab wound to his thigh.
The victim’s friend administered first aid to the stab wound before the ambulance service arrived at the scene.
Following the incident officers trawled CCTV and located footage which identified Joel Lanycia and Kian Moore as the suspects.
Lanycia was captured on CCTV punching the victim and knocking him to the floor, both men then kicked and stamped on the victim while he lay unconscious.
Moore was then seen holding a machete which he used to stab the victim in the thigh – causing a deep laceration.
Both men left the scene and following extensive enquiries they were arrested ten days later.
Lanycia, 19, of Littlegarth, Leicester, was charged with Section 18 wounding with intent and pleaded guilty at a hearing in December. Today (Friday 3 February) he was sentenced to three years and eight months detention.
Moore, 22, of Chettle Road, Leicester was charged with Section 18 wounding with intent and possession of a knife blade/sharp pointed article in a public place. He also pleaded guilty to both offences and was sentenced today to four years and four months in prison.
Detective Constable Mandeep Morar was the investigating officer. She said: “This was a serious assault in a public place – the victim was left with significant injuries and was in hospital for four days.
“Moore was in the city in a possession of a weapon, he had no qualms in using it, their actions were irresponsible and vicious.
“We are pleased both defendants admitted their involvement in the attack and spared the victim the ordeal of reliving it in court again.
“We hope the sentences passed today give the defendants the opportunity to reflect on their actions and consequences.
The victim released the following statement after the defendants were sentenced. He said: “As a result of being attacked, I’ve been anxious and the incident has made me look over my shoulder all the time. I want to try and make this country a better place to live in and not worry about knife crime.”
DC Morar, added: “The force’s ongoing Lives not Knives campaign is committed to reducing knife crime offences. We aim to deter people from carrying knives and educate them about the dangers of doing so.
“We also want to provide support and advice to those who know a knife carrier and for parents, carers and bystanders to be able to spot the signs. We want to provide messages of hope to empower the young people of Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
“As part of the #LivesNotKnives campaign we want to share the message that 'You matter, lives can change'.”
Further details about the campaign can be found here https://www.leics.police.uk/police-forces/leicestershire-police/areas/leicestershire-force-content/c/campaigns/2019/knife-crime/